What Size Dehumidifier Do I Need? (Dehumidifier Buying Guide)
We’ll help you answer the question “What size dehumidifier do I need?” and provide you with some great recommendations in this dehumidifier buying guide.
00:00 – Intro
0:36 – How do dehumidifiers work?
1:41 – How big of a dehumidifier do I need?
2:17 – How to measure room size for a dehumidifier
3:04 – What does the pint rating on a dehumidifier mean?
3:39 – Recommended pint ratings based on square footage
4:12 – How to use a dehumidifier to dry a room
5:31 – Other factors to consider when purchasing a dehumidifier
5:54 – What type of dehumidifier do I need?
If you’re looking for a quick solution, the Vremi dehumidifier is the perfect appliance for most homeowners, and our personal favorite dehumidifier! Check it out on Amazon here:
To read the full story and explore our detailed dehumidifier reviews, visit our website!
Dehumidifiers are the perfect tool for removing excess moisture in your basement or room. They work by removing excess moisture, mold, and mildew while eliminating the chance of water damage and pests. They work by using refrigeration technology. Dehumidifiers draw air in, filter it, cool it to condense the moisture and then reheat it and push the warmer, dryer air back into the room.
When it comes down to it, there are four main things you need to consider when buying a dehumidifier. These are:
• Room size
• Pint rating (or capacity of the dehumidifier)
• Level of humidity (or the dampness of the room)
• Dehumidifier type
First, you need to measure the size of the room or location you are going to use the dehumidifier in. Using an underpowered dehumidifier in a large room will not only render it useless but will also potentially shorten its lifespan by contributing to wear and tear. Simply measure both the length and width of the room. Multiply the resulting numbers to determine the area of your room in square feet. If you are using a dehumidifier for multiple rooms or even the whole house, be sure to measure all rooms to determine your total square footage.
The pint rating, also known as pint capacity, measures the amount of moisture a dehumidifier is capable of removing from a given area in a period of 24 hours. Dehumidifiers with higher pint ratings can remove more humidity and at a faster rate. So, you need to make sure your dehumidifier has a pint rating that fits the size of your space.
Here are our recommended pint ratings based on room size:
• 30 pints: Recommended for areas up to 1,500 square feet
• 50 pints: Recommended for areas up to 2,000 square feet
• 70 pints: Recommended for large space, more than 2,000 square feet
Before making a purchase, be sure to assess how damp, wet or humid your room is. This is because in a wet space, your dehumidifier will have to work extra hard, even if it is small in terms of square footage.
Consider the following guidelines when selecting your dehumidifier.
• Add 10 pints if your house is located in a humid climate
• Add 5 pints if there are a lot of people living in the concerned area or space
• Add 5 pints if the room has multiple windows and doors
• Add 5 pints if there is a washer and/or a dryer nearby
The two types of dehumidifiers are refrigerant and desiccant. In a nutshell, a refrigerant dehumidifier is used in very hot and humid temperatures as they have a higher pint rating. On the other hand, desiccant dehumidifiers are ideally used in lower temperatures since they have lower capacity ratings. Although desiccant dehumidifiers are a little less powerful, they are much quieter machines. So you may want to consider a refrigerant dehumidifier for utility, or a desiccant dehumidifier for comfortable home use.
What is the Best Dehumidifier to Buy?
Hopefully after considering your needs, you’ve narrowed down your options when it comes to selecting the perfect dehumidifier for your home. At Appliance Accreditor, we’ve already sifted through the endless options to find the best dehumidifiers around. Here are some of our recommended options:
The Vremi dehumidifier is our favorite for spaces 1,500 sq. ft. and smaller. It’s user friendly and powerful, so it’s perfect for almost all homes. Find it here on Amazon:
If you need a dehumidifier for a larger space, or if you’d like the added convenience of wifi connectivity and smart home integration, look no further than the Honeywell dehumidifier for up to 3,000 sq. ft. You can see it on Amazon here:
Appliance Accreditor is a participant in the Amazon Associates Program. We may earn a commission if you choose to purchase a product after visiting the links in this video or on our website. We have done everything we can to ensure that the information provided is accurate and relevant to your purchase decision.
Source video. Follow the youtuber for more.
- What Size Dehumidifier Do I Need? | Sylvane
- The Best Dehumidifier – A Buying Guide
- Industrial Dehumidifier: 5 Best Commercial Dehumidifiers in 2021 | Buying Guide
- Best Dehumidifier Buying Guide
- Best Bedroom Dehumidifier Reviews 2021 | Best Budget Bedroom Dehumidifiers (Buying Guide)
- Dehumidifier Buying Guide (Interactive Video) | Consumer Reports
- Do I need a Dehumidifier? – What dehumidifier should I buy?
- Do I Need a Dehumidifier in My Home? | Island Basement Systems
- ✅Dehumidifier: Best Dehumidifier 2021 (Buying Guide)
- Crawl Space Dehumidifier or Whole Home Dehumidifier | Why Do I Need A Whole House Dehumidifier
- 👉 Top 10 Mini Dehumidifier For Bathrooms 2021 (Review Guide)
- Crawl Space Dehumidifier vs Crawl Space Fan | Do I Need a Dehumidifier? Crawl Space Dehumidifiers
- Shinco 50 Pint Mid Size Portable Dehumidifier for mid Size Rooms up to 3000 Sq.Ft.
- The Best Basement Dehumidifier – A Buyer’s Guide
- Small Dehumidifier | Are They Worth Buying?
Last update 2021-09-20. Price and product availability may change.