Inside a faulty Aldi dehumidifier.
This unit is unusually large for a peltier based thermoelectric dehumidifier. But it’s very typical of these units inside.
The mystery capacitor was just across the power rails. The pair of switches also had a small signal wire to light the “Tank full” LED.
The small dehumidifiers are only suited to very warm and humid environments. They require a significant temperature differential to extract moisture from the air. I ran this unit in my cold house for three hours and it formed frost on the condenser fins which only dripped off when the unit was turned off.
If you need a dehumidifier and have a warm house I recommend getting a traditional compressor type dehumidifier as they will pay their way quickly with very efficient and fast extraction of water from the air
If you need to use a dehumidifier in a cold location then the best type is a desiccant drum dehumidifier, which uses a rotating drum of desiccant material to absorb moisture and then extract it again with heat. They will pull out a lot of water in cold areas, and also put out a stream of dry warm air.
I use both types. Compressor in the summer and desiccant drum in the winter.
Another valid option for reducing humidity in cool areas is ventilation. Particularly if you use a humidity controlled fan. In remote locations you could use a filtered 12V equipment fan with small solar panel to draw air out and a plain filtered grill to allow fresh air to flow in.
If you enjoy these videos you can help support the channel with a dollar for coffee, cookies and random gadgets for disassembly at:-
This also keeps the channel independent of YouTube’s advertising algorithms allowing it to be a bit more dangerous and naughty.
Source video. Follow the youtuber for more.
- A look inside a desiccant dehumidifier.
- What’s Inside a Dehumidifier?
- Easy Home Dehumidifier For Home Use Sold By Aldi
- RV Dehumidifier For Inside Camper
- RV Dehumidifier For Inside Camper Battery Operated
- RV Dehumidifier For Inside
- What's Inside a Mini Dehumidifier? – RustySkull Productions
- RV Dehumidifier For Inside Camper Non-electric
- RV Dehumidifier For Inside Camper With Drain
- RV Dehumidifier For Inside Camper With Drain Hose
- Unibond "moisture absorber". (presented as a room dehumidifier)
- Mini peltier dehumidifier teardown.
- How Desiccant Dehumidifiers Work and their Benefits compared to Compressor Dehumidifiers
- Ivation 13-Pint Small-Area Desiccant Dehumidifier Review
- Desiccant Dehumidifier Small
Last update 2021-09-09. Price and product availability may change.